Wednesday 9 July 2014

DAY 3: ISO and LIGHT PAINTING

     We had our assignment last week which is to submit the best photo that we can take, now that we know the purposes of ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture. So, our class starts by presenting the photographs that we have. I’m thankful they appreciate my shot. (If you want to see what I submitted and the other shots that served as my choices, click THIS)

     After the presentation, we had again a short discussion and review about the light control buttons. Our professor stressed out that the shutter speed controls the ambient light. Like on my other classmates’ shots, they can make their shots look a bit dim though it’s 12 o’clock in the afternoon and brighter even if it’s 6 in the afternoon. I can call it, “The wonders of Shutter Speed”. I realized that I really need to memorize by heart the functions of the exposure triangle so I would be able to get the shots that I want to establish.

     Remember ISO? It’s the sensitivity to light. Our professor called me to cite something that I learned and I said the ISO function. If for example you’re in a party which is dark, you can adjust you’re ISO to make your objects clear and visible. It can also be useful in museums and theatres where it’s a bit dark and the use of flash is prohibited.  Meaning if higher ISO capability, you can capture brighter images. It connotes too that the HIGHER ISO the camera has, the MORE EXPENSIVE it will be.

     One thing that I also love when I learned about it is the aperture. Because aside from it controls the light, it is also responsible for the Depth of Field (DOF). It’s important also especially for me who loves having blurry background.

     Our first activity is to experiment with the ISO. We went outside and took pictures with different ISO. Here are my shots. They have the same Shutter Speed and Aperture except the ISO, for me to be able to distinguish the difference between each ISO levels.




  
     When we’re all done with the activity, our professor thought us how to do the LIGHT PAINTING!

    So here’s the list of what I’ve learned:

·         ISO should be 100
·         You can set the camera first to auto, to have find the focus, then set it to manual again
·         You can set the timer to two seconds first for preparation
·         The aperture must be f/ the highest number so the hole would be small and there blurriness would not occur
·         Set the shutter speed depending on the shot that you want to have, for example you want a lot of details in your light painting, set it like 20 o 30, or try 6 if it’s just simple and small
·         You can also choose the bulb as the shutter speed so the time of the shutter to open and close will depend on how long you click the capture button
·         THE MOST IMPORTANT: YOUR LIGHT PAINTING WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AS YOU WANT IT WITH JUST ONE SHOT OR ONE TRIAL SO WHAT IT TAKES IS REALLY A LOT OF PATIENCE AND PERSEVERANCE!

     Look at the scenario in our classroom while we’re having our light painting session. Look also on what change the ISO did. Only the middle picture shows the exact lighting that we have in the room that moment. Observe the ISO magic! :) 


  
     No further ado, now I introduce you my own LIGHT PAINTING!!
(It took me a lot (as in 60 plus) of trials to have the best that I can)


f/27   30s   100   
f/27   30s   100
f/22   63s   100




    My first concept is to make the light looks like a smoke coming from the glass bottle but then I've realized that it'll be good if I'll try to put some stuff inside the bottle and use other light color.  


No comments:

Post a Comment